“There’s really a big problem that needs to be addressed. It’s now abig challenge on their part as law enforcers to prevent and stop the entry ofillegal drugs in our city and likewise apprehend and neutralize thoseresponsible for the proliferation of illegal drugs,” said Familiaran. BACOLOD City – Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran is challenging authoritieshere to substantially eradicate thedrug menace and ensnare major drug groupsin this city. Based on the records of the BCPO in 2019, the city police force hasseized over P73 million worth of illegal drugs from Jan. to December. On Wednesday, Espenido held a press briefing at the BCPO headquartershere after he came from a vacation abroad for almost two months. Of the total figure, P72,996,312 worth of 6,083 grams of shabu andP35,147 worth of 152 grams of marijuana were confiscated last year. Familiaran’s call came after Lieutenant Colonel Jovie Espenido, deputydirector for operations of the Bacolod City Police Office (BCPO), branded thiscapital city as “shabulized.” Vice Mayor El Cid M. Familiaran He labeled Bacolod as “shabulized” as to emphasize his assessment thatthe city has a “big” drug problem. He however lamented Espenido’s pronouncement saying: “Ang word nga shabulized medyo angconnotation tama gid bala ka negative or daw ka worst gid bala.” Espenido also said that illegal drugs still exists despite thepolice’s intensive drug war, citing the big volume of drug recovery by thepolice and the arrest of some drug personalities. Panay News tried toreach Mayor Evelio Leonardia for comment but he has to yet give his statementas of this writing./PN
If PECO was deaf to the request of consumers for new meters and newconnections, MORE Power will be the exact opposite, Castro stressed. Disgruntled Iloilo City consumers fed up with PECO’s subpar servicespaved the way for MORE Electric and Power Corp.’s (MORE Power) entry in IloiloCity, said its president and chief operating officer Roel Z. Castro. He said MORE Power is now ready to implement corrective measures toimprove the distribution system so that safe, reliable and quality electricservices will be delivered to the Ilonggos. “MORE Power will be proactive,” he said, “and we will make it as easy aspossible for our consumers to apply for new connections because we consideraccess to electricity as a non-negotiable right.” Also, the easy application process for new connections aims to eliminatepilferage and overloading of transformers due to illegal connections bynon-registered electricity consumers, he added. ILOILO City – PanayElectric Co.’s (PECO) downfall may be attributed to its lack of majorinvestments in the last nine years which left most of the facilities in thedistribution system in a critical state, an independent study revealed. PECO’s negligence in failing to replace faulty electromechanical meters– some of which were 15 years old – resulted to inaccurate meter readings. Thisangered countless Ilonggos as they were made to pay based on estimated averagesand not on actual electricity consumed. “As the coming weeks and months will show, there will be no brokenpromises for Ilonggos insofar as MORE Power is concerned – we will provide theconsumers dependable yet inexpensive power,” he declared. It discovered alarming lapses in PECO’s operations and maintenance – orlack thereof – that posed a danger to the lives and properties of consumers. MORE Power will step up and infuse the much-needed capital to beinvested in the upgrading and maintenance of the distribution system withoutcharging the consumers a higher rate, stressed Castro. This failure to maintain and upgrade the distribution system led to thedeterioration of the power quality, to the detriment of consumers. Theysuffered from unreliable supply of electricity, low voltage and damagedelectrical appliances. Castro said MORE Power invested in new kilowatt-hour (kWh) meters aimedat improving safety and service reliability. In the course of the hearing for the grant of a Certificate of PublicConvenience and Necessity (CPCN) to MORE Power, the Energy RegulatoryCommission (ERC) conducted its own independent investigation of the actualstate of the distribution system in Iloilo City as run by PECO. Roel Castro, president of MORE Electric and Power Corp. IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN The General Luna substation is still using 1970’s electromechanical relays that serve as protection to the feeder lines and other major substation equipment. This old relay is less accurate compared to the electronic relay or intelligent electronic device that MORE Power will install during the rehabilitation. Accuracy of protective relays is very relevant in the operation of the distribution system. Its failure to function during a fault will result to cascading power outages or even damage the major equipment in the substation. In sum, PECO has only itself to blame for its un-renewed franchise andrevoked provisional CPCN, capped Castro./PN read more
Majority of those tourists stranded werestaying in Sipalay – tourism hub in southern Negros Occidental known for its white-sandbeaches and unique diving sites. The Sipalay City Tourism Development andPromotion Office have been assisting tourists in leaving the city since lastmonth. A batch of 21 tourists – 14 Germans,three French, three Swiss, and one British – were also assisted in their travelfrom Sipalay to Dumaguete City in Negros Oriental going to Cebu on March 25. On March 28, a Cessna specialrepatriation flight arranged by the Swiss Embassy flew a Swiss, two Germans anda Bosnian from Sipalay Airport to Cebu. “Although the Department of Tourism hasissued an advisory that the agency is no longer initiating flights for strandedtourists, there are still airlines with commercial flights or groups doingprivate charters to move stranded tourists to international gateways,” theProvincial Tourism Division, headed by Jennylind Cordero, said in an earlierstatement. The Sipalay City Tourism Development andPromotion Office said that its personnel, in coordination with the NegrosOccidental Provincial Tourism Division, assisted the tourists during the Holyweek. On April 11, two Swedish nationals tookthe Bacolod-Iloilo-Manila sweeper flight from Bacolod-Silay Airport arranged bythe Embassy of Sweden, while seven Germans flew on three Cessna planes fromSipalay Airport to Mactan-Cebu International Airport to board theirCebu-Frankfurt flight on April 8. Personnel of Sipalay City Tourism Development and Promotion Office, in coordination with the Negros Occidental Provincial Tourism Division, successfully repatriate nine more European tourists stranded during the holy week. Travel restrictions have been imposed in various places in the country due to coronavirus disease 2019 outbreak. SIPALAY CITY TOURISM OFFICE BACOLOD City – Nine more Europeantourist stranded in Sipalay City, Negros Occidental have been ferried bycharter planes to catch their repatriation flights in Manila and Cebu. Travel restrictions brought by theenhanced community quarantine imposed in Luzon and some provinces in Visayasdue to the coronavirus disease 2019 outbreak left the tourists stranded invarious destinations of this province. On the first week of April, theProvincial Tourism Division reported that more than 100 foreign tourists havebeen stranded in various towns and cities in this province.(With a report from PNA/PN) read more
“We are waiting for pronouncements from our higher office,” said CAAP-Iloilo terminal supervisor Art Parreño. The checking of people’s temperature using thermal scanners would resume, he added. Classified as an international airport, the Iloilo Airport is the first airport in both Western Visayas and the island of Panay to be built to international standards, and it is also considered to be the primary gateway into the region. It opened to commercial traffic on June 14, 2007 with then President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo inaugurating it. ILOILO City – The Iloilo Airport in Cabatuan, Iloilo will remain closed to commercial flights until June 10 unless the suspension of its operation is lifted earlier by the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP). * flights with persons travelling for urgent medical reasons * flights with members of the Philippine National Police and all branches of the Armed Forces of the Philippines Under the new normal, he said, social distancing would be enforced at the airport, and so is the wearing of facemasks. Before the quarantine, the Iloilo Airport was seeing a frequency of 25 planes arriving and the same number of planes departing. Runway lights and an Instrument Landing System were installed, making the airport capable of supporting low-visibility and night landings under any weather condition. Its location on the Tomas Confesor Highway, a major highway traversing Panay Island, makes the airport accessible from all parts of Iloilo and Panay by road, while its proximity to the currently defunct Panay Railways network could potentially link the airport to the rest of Panay by rail. These were the only exceptions: The Iloilo Airport has one primary 2,500-meter runway 45 meters wide. It can support wide-bodied aircraft such as the Airbus A330, Airbus A340, Airbus A350 XWB, Boeing 777(with reduced payload for the -300 series or -200 series), Boeing 767, Boeing 757, Antonov An-124 Ruslan, McDonnell Douglas MD-11and Boeing 787. Today, Iloilo province starts being under a general community quarantine, a downgrade from over a month of being under an enhanced community quarantine to curb the spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). This is raising questions on Iloilo Airport’s possible reopening. The airport temporarily suspended its operation beginning March 18 due to the coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic. It was requested by Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr. Only “sweeper flights” would be accommodated – airplanes transporting stranded overseas Filipino workers or Ilonggos wanting to go home – and airplanes used by the military to transport healthcare personnel and equipment. Arrival and departure areas wound be decontaminated, said Parreño. * flights with persons traveling into the province on common carriers and/or transport for the conduct of trade, delivery of social/humanitarian services, fishing/marine activities, scientific/academic pursuit, and such other essential purposes, other than carriage of passengers The Iloilo Airport has a 13,700-square-meter main passenger terminal. It is divided into three levels: arrivals and baggage claim on the first floor, check-in on the second floor and departures on the third floor. * flights with healthcare workers responding to emergency Designed to accommodate 1.2 million passengers a year over a decade ago, it is poised for expansion as it now serves 2.4 million passengers annually. The current airport complex consists of a single runway, various administrative and maintenance buildings, waste-sorting and water-treatment facilities, a power-generating station, a cargo terminal, and a main passenger terminal. Three jet bridges protrude from the passenger terminal above a 48,000-square-meter apron, enabling the airport to handle up to six aircraft simultaneously./PN According to Parreño, unless the suspension order is revoked, no commercial planes would be allowed to land or takeoff. Parreño, however, confirmed that CAAP-Iloilo is preparing the airport for its eventual reopening. As to the volume of airplane passengers, Parreño said, CAAP was still discussing this with various airlines. But he did not discount the possibility of a reduction in passenger volume. read more
Cong. Greg Gatasaya said P455.5 million was downloaded by DWSD for the recipients of the SAP’s second tranche here.The barangays that will receive the financial assistance based on DSSD’s schedule on July 23 are Alangilan, Handumanan, Montevista, Pahanocoy, Punta Taytay, Villamonte, and villages 1 to 41.Distribution for barangays Alijis, Banago, Estefania, Mansilingan, Singcang-Airport, Sum-ag, Taculing, and Tangub, was slated on July 24.Barangays Granada, Mandalagan and Vista Alegre, meanwhile, will receive their SAP aid on July 25. BACOLOD City – The Department of Social Services and Development (DSSD) in this city begins today the distribution of the second tranche of emergency cash assistance under the national government’s Social Amelioration Program (SAP). There are 75, 926 family beneficiaries in this city, according to Ma. Evelyn Macapobre, director of the Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) in Region 6. According to DSSD head Pacita Tero, the distribution of financial assistance in Barangay Felisa is still pending because of some changes in the names of beneficiaries Around 76,000 beneficiaries will receive their cash assistance within this week, she said, adding that the next batch of qualified recipients will receive theirs next week./PN read more
Charges for violation of Republic Act 9165, or the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002 will be filed against them./PN BACOLOD City – Suspected shabu weighing about nine grams valued at around P61,000 was seized in a buy-bust operation in Barangay Guinhalaran, Silay City, Negros Occidental. Lopez and Carado were nabbed after they sold suspect suspected shabu to an undercover officer for P4,500 around 9 a.m. on July 29, it added. The 42-year-old resident Roger Lopez and 43-year-old Elbert Carado of Barangay Mambulac, Silay City yielded the suspected illegal drugs, a police report showed. The suspects were detained in the lockup facility of the Silay City police station.
Four voting precincts in the Batesville area are being consolidated. Ripley County voters impacted by the change will not see much of a difference the next time they cast a ballot, however.Laughery Ward 3 Precinct 1 and Laughery Ward 3 Precinct 2 have been joined together, now called Laughery 3-1.Ballots will continue to be cast at the Batesville Memorial Public Library.Laughery Ward 1 Precinct 1 and Laughery Ward 1 Precinct 2 have been consolidated into Laughery 1-1. Polling will continue to be done at Batesville Knights of Columbus.Residents of Adams 3rd Precinct who also vote at the K of C were not impacted.Ripley County Clerk Mary Ann McCoy said, “It was terribly confusing when people went to vote because they would get the [precinct numbers] mixed up.”“Nobody will go to any place different to vote. It’s not going to change anything. It just changes the numbers on the precincts,” she added.Citizens in those precincts will not even have to re-register to vote. She also noted that no other precincts in the county have been changed.Consolidating a precinct is not an overnight process. McCoy said the change was made during a non-election year because of the long process that involves working with county commissioners and the state election board.Following approval from the Indiana Election Commission, the Ripley County Clerk’s Office sent notifications to residents of the impacted areas. If a resident has not notified, McCoy recommends them to contact her office at 812-689-6115.Combining the precincts will also benefit the county financially. McCoy pointed out, “It will save money on ballots and it will save money on the workers”“That’s what we are here for. To try and make it better for the people of the county and to save money, not spend it,” McCoy added.Contact the Clerks office if interested in working at a polling location during election time. McCoy said, “The county does pay for attending the meeting and for working.” read more
The original 1920 sign that hung at the Damm Theatre will be sold this weekend. (Image: Firehouse Antiques and Estate Sales)Artifacts and memorabilia from years gone by are being auctioned off this weekend in Osgood.The Damm Theatre and Family Estate Sale is coordinated by Firehouse Antiques-Estate Sales of New Harmony.The event will feature items that represent Osgood history and antique household items, as well as a memorabilia from the Damm Theatre and other local establishments in Osgood.The Damm Theatre was bought in 1921 by Louis Damm and stayed in the family until it was sold to the nonprofit Reynolds Foundation. The last family members to own the theatre was Bob and Judy.The items that were removed and stored away at the time make up the sale, as do the Damm family house and barn.Bob has since passed away, and Judy, now remarried, has been gathering items for the three day sale.“It has brought back some wonderful memories but this hard to do,” Judy said. “It has been very difficult.”The Damm Theatre itself as well as the items currently inside it is not part of the auction.The sale runs from Friday through Sunday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day. The sale will be at the Damm House, 139 East Ripley Street in Osgood.The home will be sold separately by Judy.“I really want it to go to someone who appreciates its history,” she said.Judy thanked the residents of Osgood for the support they have shown the family throughout the years. read more
WRBI Area Girls High School Basketball Scores.Tuesday (11-26)Connersville 36 Batesville 31Batesville JV wonLawrenceburg 48 Taylor 37
The Milan Lady Indians blanked The Jac-Cen-Del Lady Eagles 16-0 in Varsity Softball action.Milan vs. JCD Softball (4-21)Submitted by Milan Coaches Eric Widener and Yatze Roysden.