YinYang/iStock(WASHINGTON) — The Supreme Court issued an order Monday to temporarily allow a Trump administration rule that would deny certain immigrants legal status in the U.S. if they failed to meet new standards proving they won’t rely too heavily on public benefits.The 5-4 decision, made by the court’s conservative majority, means the rule is permitted to continue until a lower court makes a determination.The rule requires immigration officials to assess factors including an applicant’s age, health and assets, while expanding the list of off-limits public services to include Medicaid, food stamps and housing subsidies.Pregnant women, children, refugees, asylum seekers and certain members of the military are generally exempt.Under a separate administration move last week, pregnant women attempting to enter the country are now facing more scrutiny and could have their visas denied if immigration officers find they’re traveling to have a child on U.S. soil.The rule that the Supreme Court is temporarily allowing is expected to have a broad impact on those applying for permanent legal status in the U.S. An analysis from the Migration Policy Institute last year found 70% of recent green card applicants would have been impacted had the rule been implemented earlier.White House press secretary Stephanie Grisham praised the high court’s decision in a statement Monday.“Today’s stay from the Supreme Court is a massive win for American taxpayers, American workers, and the American Constitution,” Grisham said. “This decision allows the Government to implement regulations effectuating longstanding Federal law that newcomers to this country must be financially self-sufficient and not a “public charge” on our country and its citizens.”But backlash from civil rights advocates decrying the imminent implementation of the policy was swift.“The public charge rule is yet another attack on immigrant communities and is especially harmful for survivors of gender-based violence who are subject to the rule,” said Irena Sullivan, a senior attorney at the Tahirih Justice Center, a group that advocates for trafficking victims. “Abusers commonly use threats of violence and deportation to keep survivors economically dependent on them and to prevent them from escaping.”Claudia Center, a senior staff attorney with the ACLU’s Disability Rights Program, claimed the rule was designed to intentionally hurt immigrants and those in need of specialized care.“It enshrines the false stereotype that people with disabilities do not contribute to our society,” Center said in a statement. “Families will suffer. Congress has repeatedly declared that disability discrimination violates federal law. This rule must be stopped.”Immigrant communities were rattled when the rule was first announced last spring. Many worried it could impact U.S. citizen children if parents decided not to use public services out of fear their green card applications would be denied.A University of California San Diego study released last August found undocumented immigrants were much less likely to seek out emergency health care after hearing about the public charge rule.Following the Supreme Court’s decision, immigrant advocates and legal analysts were quick to encourage those who believe they may be affected to seek out legal resources, noting the complex web of policy alterations made by the new rule should be navigated on a case-by-case basis. Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.
Brighton and Hove letting agents who use To Let boards to advertise properties within the city may soon have to reduce the size of their signs and only mount them flush on property walls if plans for a voluntary scheme are voted through today.The council is considering the scheme which will operate in the largely student Lewes Road corridor area of the city and is backed by The Brighton & Hove Estate Agents Association, which says it is “supportive of better management of residential letting agents boards and will continue to work with [council] officers to this end”.Brighton and Hove’s scheme will run for a year and be voluntary, but if unsuccessful the council says it will return to the Secretary of State to ask for a Regulation 7 Direction order to enforce stricter policing of To Let boards.In 2010 the council asked for 17 zones mostly in Conservation Areas to be considered for a Regulation 7 Direction and of these 12 were allowed, two partially allowed and three turned down.If the scheme gets the go-ahead then, following several months of consultation, it is likely to start in May 2017.Documentation from council officers (pictured) suggests they are going to adopt measures similar to those introduced in Nottingham and Leeds. These require agents to affix their boards, which must be no more than 34cm x 48cm either portrait or landscape, flush to a property’s front wall but not above the level of first floor windows.In Nottingham agents are only allowed to use one company logo per board, only one board is allowed per property, boards must have a white background and the boards can only say ‘To let’ and not ‘Let’ ‘Let by’ or ‘More properties wanted’. November 17, 2016Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles Letting agent fined £11,500 over unlicenced rent-to-rent HMO3rd May 2021 BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Home » News » Brighton to pilot smaller To Let boards previous nextRegulation & LawBrighton to pilot smaller To Let boardsVoluntary scheme to be tried in HMO and student dominated area for a yearNigel Lewis17th November 20160517 Views read more
The governments of Mexico and El Salvador have agreed to “energetically” confront organized crime affecting undocumented migrants from Central America, constant victims of kidnappings and other problems of insecurity, the two sides announced. Following a meeting, both governments issued a joint declaration in which they committed themselves to “promoting” bilateral cooperation and “joint regional action based on the principle of shared responsibility” in order to “energetically” confront the transnational organized crime that is affecting both countries. “Migrants’ security and human rights should be independently observed in their migratory situation,” the declaration emphasized. In the document, both countries rejected anti-immigrant policies and agreed to “redouble” their efforts to prevent and, failing that, fight crimes committed against migrants in their respective territories. Their foreign ministries will continue to be responsible for managing the political dialogue and creating an “early warning” system with the aim of “getting ahead” of events. In addition, the two sides “will strengthen” the exchange of information and will coordinate prior notice of operations against organized crime. Mexico and El Salvador agreed to hold a follow-up meeting on 26 February to evaluate each country’s concrete progress and goals. The Salvadoran deputy foreign minister, Juan José García, and the security and justice minister, Manuel Melgar, among others, participated in the meeting on 13 January. On the Mexican side, the deputy secretary of foreign relations for Latin America, Rubén Beltrán Guerrero, and other officials involved with migration issues were present. By Dialogo January 17, 2011 read more
For all the Latest Sports News News, Cricket News News, Download News Nation Android and iOS Mobile Apps. New Delhi: When one looks at the contributions of Mithali Raj, it is phenomenal. She is the only woman’s cricketer to reach 6000 ODI runs and is the leading run-getter in Women’s Twenty20 International for India. In fact, in Twenty20 Internationals, she has more runs than Rohit Sharma, Martin Guptill and Virat Kohli. She has been part of two World Cup finals in 2005 and 2017. She has also been part of Twenty20 World Cup semi-finals in 2010 and 2018. She was the first Indian cricketer to hit a double century in Tests and she led India to their first-ever Test series win in England. In the list of glorious achievements for women’s cricket in India, Mithali features prominently. As captain, player, Mithali is the sole reason why women’s cricket is thriving.Today, the Indian legend turns 36 years. Her birthday should ideally be the celebration of women’s cricket in India. Tragically, this year, her birthday will be celebrated in a more somber mood, considering all the stories emerging out of the Indian women’s cricket team camp following their exit in the semi-final of the World T20 against England at North Sound, Antigua last month. Her benching in the crunch match has resulted in plenty of skeletons tumbling out of the closet, with Mithali’s manager calling Harmanpreet Kaur, the current skipper of the Indian cricket team, a “manipulative, lying and undeserving” captain. This, in turn, led to another storm. The face-off between Powar and Mithali, in which the former India offspinner called Mithali ‘aloof’ and ‘difficult to handle’ resulted in another controversy which has seen Powar not offered the extension to his coaching tenure.Read More | It is the darkest day of my life, says Mithali Raj on Powar’s allegationsIt is the current scenario which makes Mithali’s birthday this year a bit more tragic. As someone who gave women’s cricket in India such a massive boost, the current scenario is heartbreaking.Read More | Ramesh Powar on Mithali Raj: She was ‘aloof, difficult to handle’Semi-final benching leads to stormWhen Mithali was not picked in the playing XI, Harmanpreet said they took the decision for the interest of the team. However, things took an ugly turn when Mithali’s manager Annisha Gupta insulted Harmanpreet and said, “The kind of treatment she has received is completely uncalled for and there is something deeper than we need to look at than just the statements that have been coming out. The kind of favouritism that has been shown is very apparent. I think everybody can see that is being shown to certain members of the team,” Gupta said at that time.Read More | Mithali Raj’s manager lashes out at Harmanpreet Kaur, calls her ‘manipulative’, ‘immature’Following this controversy, Mithali broke her silence in a scathing email to the BCCI when she said Powar humiliated her during the World T20 in the West Indies and she was left in tears after the axing from the team.Mithali’s ‘humiliation’When the Committee of Administrators jumped into the fray and demanded Mithali’s fitness logs, things got murkier. In a leaked report, Harmanpreet, Powar and selector Sudha Shah met to decide the playing XI and drop Mithali. Trupti Bhattacharya, the team manager of the Indian women’s team, said in her report the captain, coach and selector said the same winning combination against Australia should play. The report added that Sudha Shah did not express anything and was a ‘mere spectator’.Mithali lashed out at Powar in a letter sent to Rahul Johri, the BCCI CEO and Cricket Operations GM Saba Karim by saying, “For the first time in a 20 year long career, I felt deflated, depressed and let down. I am forced to think if my services to my country are of any value to a few people in power who are out to destroy me and break my confidence.” She also accused Diana Edulji, the member of the CoA of bias, stating that Edulji’s brazen support to the decision of her benching in the semifinal left her “deeply distressed”Perhaps the current emotional state of Mithali can be summed up with the words she used when her opportunity to win the World Cup for India was missed. “I wanted to win the World Cup for my country and it hurts me because we lost a golden opportunity,” Mithali had said. For all her achievements, the only sore points in her glorious career could be the fact that she never could help India win the cup. Her 36th birthday is a celebration of a legend, but it is also the sad reality that Mithali’s playing days for India are numbered. read more